So much for doing this weekly, right? I won’t commit to a weekly update post again, but just for kicks here are some recent highlights and best-of’s:
Krista and I celebrated our three-year anniversary the first week of this month. Now that we are expecting our first child, time seems to be flying by. But most every day I stop at some point and it registers with me again (probably when I’m looking at those gorgeous green eyes): I have it so very good.
To commemorate, we spent an evening out at Ruth’s Chris steakhouse. It’s been a long time since I’ve enjoyed a steak at that level. Add it to your list of restaurants for “special occasions” ASAP. In fact, here are a couple occasions you may consider:
- Cinco de Mayo (May 5th, to state the obvious) – I’m not sure how to say “Filet Mignon” in Spanish, but it would be worth figuring it out for their steaks.
- Mother’s Day (May 10th) – Even if you can’t bring mom along, this might be a great way to raise the glass to the one who always had grape juice handy when you said the magic word, “Juice!”
As I mentioned in my last post, Easter Sunday was very special for us at St. Bartholomew’s. After hearing about other services from a couple of people, we will be sure to attend all the Holy Week gatherings next year (rookie mistake).
On another church note, I was honored that St. B’s chose to print my Confirmed article in the April edition of The Branch, which came out this past Sunday. I don’t write these posts with the thought that an entire congregation will be reading them, so I was humbled that they would ask to print it!
Even though the Predators didn’t make the playoffs, I’m still excited to begin watching what is arguably the most grueling journey to any professional sports championship: The Stanley Cup Playoffs. I previously picked the San Jose Sharks, but it’s looking like Krista’s pick of the Canucks was the smarter play. The Sharks are down 0-2 in the series as of Tuesday.
It’s been months since we’ve been to the theater to see a movie, but here are the top five Spring/Summer movies I’m looking forward to:
- The Soloist (April 24) – This may be one where the previews sucked me in, but it looks like a fantastic storyline.
- Star Trek (May 8 ) – I don’t know that I qualify as a Trekkie, but I’ve watched Star Trek since I was a kid. Early reviews on this movie indicate a homerun.
- Terminator: Salvation (May 21) – Christian Bale as John Connor in the prequel. My only question is, can you really designate one particular film in a time-travel series as a “prequel.”
- Public Enemies (July 1) – A movie about Depression-era outlaw John Dillinger, starring Johnny Depp. Looks spectacular, if you like a good gangster movie.
- S. Darko (July 10) – Though I will go in with a fair amount of skepticism, I can’t resist going to see this follow up to Donnie Darko, which is in my top 5 movies of all time. This one plays from the perspective of Donnie’s sister, Samantha, if I’m understanding the plot correctly. It has the potential to be a huge disappointment.
My friend Brian has started a blog based on an intriguing premise. He limits each post to exactly 99 words, and titles each post using the acronym of the first sentence. It’s a quick, but thought-provoking read. Visit Habits of The Cold War sometime soon.